The Railway Magazine


As 1968 progressed it became increasingly obvious the British Railways Board would be unlikely to permit the continued operation of privately owned steam locomotives on its routes and an alternative plan would be required to prevent main line locomotives from being incarcerated in museums or restricted to private branch lines.

With steam operations on British Railways finally drawing to a close, the seeds were sown in the Letters pages of the Railway Magazine. There had been correspondence about the idea of acquiring a suitable length of main line as a ‘stamping ground’ where surviving express steam locomotives could ‘stretch their legs’ – effectively demonstrating their performance for the benefit of future generations. After many similar suggestions, nothing in the way of tangible progress had been made until a letter from Keith Tyler, published in the July 1968 edition, asked: ‘Is it really too late to pursue purchase of at least a substantial part of the GC line between Nottingham and Rugby . . .’

Mr Tyler’s letter concluded with: ‘Individuals and societies have laboured mightily to retain alive some of the most magnificent machines man has ever produced. This is no time to accept defeat.’

Picking up the gauntlet

As often happens in times of need, a hero must step forward to get things moving. In this case, that brave soul was John Kirby, a Leicester schoolmaster who, together with two colleagues, formed the Main Line Preservation Group (MLPG). The group’s formation was announced in a news item on page 736 in the December 1968 edition of the Railway Magazine (see picture). The group’s aim was stated simply: ‘to acquire a section of former main line, possibly in the East Midlands, on which privately owned steam locomotives could be run at speed’.

At the time, John had described himself as the hon secretary and, not surprisingly, he received a deluge of letters both for and against the idea. John and his wife worked hard to reply to that first tranche of letters but were quite overwhelmed. In an effort to enrol assistance, John suggested an open meeting to be held in the waiting room of Leicester Central station on Saturday, January 25, 1969.

Just 17 people attended that first meeting and each paid the sum of half-a-crown (12½p) to assist with the cost of the group’s administration. The meeting also provided the group’s first elected officers: John, himself moving to the position of chairman, Malcolm Law was appointed membership secretary and Roger Holmes became the group’s treasurer.

In the weeks that followed, other officers were

Você está lendo uma amostra, registre-se para ler mais.

Mais de The Railway Magazine

The Railway MagazineLeitura de 1 mins
South London Lines Embark On Four Years Of Major Track And Signalling Upgrades
FEBRUARY saw the start of a major track replacement and resignalling project in south London that will continue in phases until 2025. Focusing on lines serving London Victoria and the West London Line between Clapham Junction and Shepherds Bush, the
The Railway MagazineLeitura de 4 mins
JOHN Yonge, proprietor of the Quail Map Company, died in a nursing home in January aged 89. Born in Chester, John was the son of Wing Commander John Yonge, a Second World War pilot, and led a somewhat disrupted childhood because of his father’s vario
The Railway MagazineLeitura de 16 mins
Your reports and pictures are most welcome. Highly competitive rates are paid, especially if exclusive to The RM. IN AN incident on February 2, reports emerged that 1M19/18.40 Glasgow Central to London Euston, formed of Pendolino No. 390138, had re