Você está na página 1de 1

The past several days have been the most trying our family has collectively ever faced.

remain intensely prayerful and optimistic about Amber's condition and of the treatment she is
currently receiving. Our prayers and thoughts also go out to Amber's colleague, Nina Pham,
and the Dallas and Ohio communities impacted by this tragedy.

Amber is the shining light of our family and truly an exceptionally good and caring young
woman. She is a loving daughter, granddaughter, sister, friend, and soon-to-be wife.
Furthermore, Amber is a deeply committed nurse driven by a fundamental passion for
helping others. Although the majority of the correspondences we have received since her
diagnosis have been positive, we are troubled by some of the negative public comments and
media coverage that mischaracterize Amber and her actions. To be clear, in no way was
Amber careless prior to or after her exposure to Mr. Thomas Eric Duncan. She has not and
would not knowingly expose herself or anyone else.

Before traveling, Amber, working through her Texas Health Resources Presbyterian Hospital
assistant manager, contacted the CDC and was fully cleared for travel. On Sunday, while in
Ohio, Amber received word that Ms. Pham, a colleague she worked closely with during
treatment of Mr. Duncan, had been diagnosed with Ebola. Amber was contacted by the
Dallas County Health Department and told that the agency had begun conducting outreach
to all of the nurses who had direct contact with Mr. Duncan for status updates on their health.
She reported that she was fine and provided her temperature reading at that time. By phone,
county officials read Amber a letter that contained information about symptoms to observe
and report should they develop. She was also told to continue self-monitoring and was asked
to report these results twice daily to the agency. During this conversation, Amber, unsettled
by the news of Ms. Phan, asked if arrangements could be made for her to fly her back to
Dallas on Sunday as a precaution. Amber was particularly concerned considering that Ms.
Pham, being a capable nurse who followed the same Dallas county mandates, had become
infected. Officials assured Amber that her concerns were unfounded because her
temperatures were within the appropriate measures and asymptomatic in all other areas.
Amber then asked if, after returning to Dallas, she would be allowed to reside at the hospital
until the end of her 21-day monitoring period. She was told that this was the first request of
its kind, but that the agency would consider the option. Once again, Amber was assured that
she should not be alarmed and prompted to continue self-monitoring. The Dallas County
Health Department informed her that, upon her return to Dallas, someone from their agency
would record at least one of her readings, in person, daily.

The following day, Amber prepared for her return to Dallas, and following the request of the
Dallas County Health Department, reported her temperature before boarding her flight
three different times. Her initial flight was delayed and two subsequent delayed flights
prompted Amber to report her temperature, as instructed, each time she anticipated
departure. In all three instances, she was cleared to return to Texas.

One day after returning to Dallas, on the morning of Tuesday, October 14th, Amber first
reported a temperature of 100.3 degrees to the Dallas County Department of Health.
Immediately after, Amber proactively admitted herself to Texas Health Resources
Presbyterian Hospital, and has been quarantined since.

Suggestions that she ignored any of the physician and government-provided protocols
recommended to her are patently untrue and hurtful. In the interest of Amber and our family,
we have retained esteemed attorney Billy Martin to provide us with legal counsel during this
unfortunate and troubling time. We also ask that the media respect our privacy. All media
inquires should be directed to Steven Jumper.

We thank everyone for their prayers and support.